Vail Pale Ale
pale ale, India pale ale, all-grain
Source: Wayne Waananen (SandBrew@aol.com),
HBD Issue #1863, 10/21/95
I would like to share with everyone my IPA recipe that won two
gold medals at GABF in '92 & '94 when I worked for the Hubcap Brewey in
Vail, CO. The same recipe won the gold this year from the Hubcap in Dallas,
[Wayne is now with the SandLot Brewery, Coors Field, Denver.]
Ingredients: (for 5 gallons)
- 10 lbs. Bairds English two-row Pale Ale malted barley
- 1 lb. Bairds English two-row 50-60 crystal malt
- 1.2 oz. Centennial hop pellets (90 min. boil)
- 1.2 oz. Centennial hop pellets (60 min. boil)
- 1.2 oz. Cascade hop pellets (10 min. boil)
- 1.2 oz. Cascade hop pellets(end of boil)
- yeast (1056 works well)
Mash at 68 C. for 90 minutes. Boil 90 minutes.
Force cool and ferment with your favorite ale yeast (1056 works well).
Rack into secondary, add finings and 1.2 oz. for Cascade whole hops.
Let sit in secondary for three weeks, rack into serving vessel and force
carbonate. ENJOY. Your equipment may give you different results but what you want to shoot for
is O.G. 1.055 F.G. 1.016 IBU 62.