Taking Liberty Ale
pale ale, all-grain, India pale ale, I.P.A., Liberty Ale
Source: Rick Larson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Issue #823, 2/13/92
In the 1990 Special Zymurgy Issue on Hops, Quentin B. Smith recommends
Chinook at 24 BU, Cascade at 12 BU, Cascade at 9 dry hopped (total
45BU). OG=1.062. Later, he wins first place in the Pale Ale catagory in
the 1991 AHA Nationals with a recipe that uses 14 pounds Klages, 4 oz
40L crystal, 4 oz 90L crystal (and of course different hops :-). This
had a OG=1.062 and TG=1.010. He mashed all grains for 90 minutes at
150F. Mashed off at 170F, sparged with 170F water.
- 14 pounds, Klages, 2-row Malt
- 4 ounces, 40L Crystal Malt
- 4 ounces, 90L Crystal Malt
- 1/2 ounce, Chinook (12%), 60 minutes
- 1 ounce, Cascade (5.5%), 30 minutes
- 2 ounces, Cascade (5.5%), dry hopped
- 1 teaspoon, Irish moss, 15 minutes
- Wyeast 1056 American ale
- 3/4 cup, corn sugar to prime
Mash all grains for 90 minutes at 150F, adjust PH as needed. Mashed off
at 170F, sparged with 170F water.
This has a total BU of 43.7. If you don't reach around 1.060, adjust the
dry hopping accordingly.