Jeff's ESBB Extra Special Basenji Bitter
bitter, pale ale, E.S.B., all-grain
Source: Jeff Guillet (firstname.lastname@example.org),
Turned out pert darn good,
IMHO. Let me know how you like it if you use it.
- 2 lbs. British Crystal Cracked Grains
- 6 lbs. Dutch Amber Dry Malt Extract
- 2-1/4 oz Northern Brewer Hops (for brewing)
- 1-1/2 oz Cascade Hops (finishing hops)
- 1 pkg. CWE A6 Dry Yeast
- 1 C+2 T English Light Dry Malt Extract (for priming)
- 2 tsp Irish Moss (last 30 minutes of boil)
- 2 tsp Sparkolloid (last 15 minutes of boil)
- 1/2 oz Cascade Hops (for hop tea at bottling)
- If your water is soft, add 1/4 t Citric Acid and 1-1/2 t Gypsum.
Put British Crystal cracked grains in straining bag and add to 2 gal.
cold water. Heat to boil, removing grains just before boil starts.
Sparge grains. Add Dutch Amber DME. Boil 1 hour. Add Northern Brewer
in straining bag to wort. Boil. Add Cascade finishing hops 1 minute
before end of boil. Remove from heat and let hops steep for 10 minutes.
Sparge. Make a starter from 1 cup wort and 1 cup water, add yeast. Add
enough water to top off to 5 gal. Pitch starter. Ferment for 1 week.
Rack to carboy for 3 weeks. At bottling, siphon out 2 cups of beer and
warm on stove. Dissolve English Light DME into hot beer and bring to
boil. Add 1/2 oz Cascade hops and steep for 10 minutes. Pour primer
in bottling bucket and siphon carboy into bucket. Bottle. Let bottles
condition for 3 weeks.