First Oatmeal Stout
stout, oatmeal stout, extract
Source: Patrick E. Humphrey (HUMPHREY.PATRICK@igate.abbott.com), HBD Issue #1721, 5/3/95
Well, last night I made my first oatmeal stout with extract and
specialties. This is the first stout I have made of any kind so I didn't
know what to expect.
- 6# unhopped dark malt extract
- 1# unhopped dry malt
- 8 oz chocolate malt
- 6 oz roasted barley
- 4 oz black patent malt
- 8 oz rolled oats
- 1 tbs CaCO3
- 2 oz Northern Brewer - 8.2 AAU
- 2 oz Fuggles - 4.2 AAU
- Irish Moss - 30 min
- Liquid Irish Ale yeast
I cracked the grains using my food processor in short bursts (worked
great!). Transferred them to a mesh strainer and shook to remove dust. I
did this outside so as not to contaminate the kitcken. These were then
placed with the oats (unground) into a grain bag. I preheated a 10 qt.
(12-pack) cooler with boiling water, added the grain bag and 175 deg.
water. Water cooled to the target of 160 deg. and steeped for 15 minutes.
Things were working beautifully. I boiled the water and added the extract,
CaCO3 and the steep liquor. This is where I have the question.
In previous extract/grain batches I have steeped grains, then washed them
in some of the unboiled water until the water ran "clear." I started to do
this with the black/chocolate malts but obviously with the black grains it
wouldn't have run clear. Eventually, the water I was using started to
become the consistancy of thin syrup. If I continued to wash them I would
have been there for days until the liquid began to thin and probably would
have ended up with 10 gallons of wort.