24 Black Silk
stout, coffee stout, extract
Source: (Simonzip@aol.com), HBD Issue #1970,
Used bottled water. Used nylon grain bags for grains, hops and coffee.
Racked to secondary 1-16, uumm tastes very fine.
Ingredients: (for 6 gallons)
- 8 lb. Mountmellick stout kit
- 1/2 cup flaked barley
- 2 cups Quaker oats
- 1/2 cup black patent
- 1/4 cup chocolate malt
- 1/2 oz. Fuggles (60 min.)
- 1/2 oz. Fuggles (10 min.)
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 lb. ground coffee of choice (Ghiradelli Chocolate Caramel this batch)
- Yeast Lab A05 Irish Ale (starter)
Steeped grains and oats 30 min. @ 140-145, then up to 155 for 10 min.
Add extract & 0.5 oz Fuggles, boil 50 min.
With 5 min. to go add rest of Fuggles.
At 60 min., kill heat, add coffee and let it steep 20 min.
Pull coffee, cool, transfer to fermenter, top up with water.
Pitched starter @ 74x. Shook like hell.
Bubbles in airlock within 12 hours.
- OG: 1.052
- FG: 1.018
- Alcohol: 4.6%