stout, dry stout, Irish stout, extract
Source: William Bowen (mrbill@leland.Stanford.edu)
This beer is similar in alcohol and body to draft Guinness, but it's
slighty more bitter, has some hop aroma and a hint of coffee (from the
chocolate malt, I think).
- 6 pounds, dark malt extract
- 1/2 pound, 80L crystal malt
- 1/2 pound, 120L crystal malt
- 1/2 pound, roasted barley
- 1/4 pound, chocolate malt
- 1/4 pound, black patent
- 1 ounce, Bullion hops (Boil)
- 1 ounce, Fuggles hops (Finish)
- WYeast #1084
- 1 tsp gypsum
1. Bring 1--1/2 gallons water to boil while steeping the crystal malts.
Boil for 5 minutes, remove the grains.
2. Add the bullion hops and gypsum, boil for 50 minutes.
3. Add the Fuggles, turn off the heat, put the lid on the brewpot.
4. Sparge the wort into enough water to make 5 gallons.