Hershell Chanukah's Mulled Atheist Ale
spiced ale, extract
Source: Aaron Birenboim (email@example.com)
At the risk of sounding immodest, it was the best spiced ale I have ever
The flavor is totally dominated by the crystal, honey, and spices. Don't
fret too much about the extract. Any amber will do. If all you can get
is pale, just add about 1 pound of "amber" malt to the crystal steep.
Amber can be made by toasting pale malt at 350F for about 20 min.
- 1 3--kg can, Irek's wheat extract
- 2 pounds, crystal malt (40L or lower)
- 2 pounds, honey (more if you want it stronger)
- 15 HBU, boiling hops
- 2 ounces, finishing hops (e.g., Cascade) (2 minutes)
- 2 ounces, fresh ginger
- peels from 3 lemons
- 10 cloves, lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon, allspice, lightly crushed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 of a nutmeg, lightly crushed (or less---maybe 1/4 nutmeg)
- Irish moss for clarity
- Whitbread ale yeast
Add spices in last 10 minutes or so of boil.