Green Chili Beerito
chili beer, spiced ale, extract
Source: Brewed by Ken Kane, posted by
Jeff Frane (firstname.lastname@example.org), HBD Issue 1165,
One of the advantages of running the Oregon State Fair competition has
been access to winning recipes -- and the permission to reproduce them
at will. The following beer took 1st Place in the Specialty Beer
category, and is, I thought, a really tasty item. Ken Kane, of
Portland, seems to brew nothing but spiced and fruit beers, and has
gotten quite innovative and skillful at it. If memory serves, he's won
this category repeatedly (including a pumpernickel beer and a sage
I realize there's a little information missing, but it ought to
provide a good start -- and it was a really tasty beer, for those who
like chili beers.
- 7# Alexander's Pale extract
- 1# Dextrin malt
- 1# Vienna (presumably Briess)
- 1/4 oz Kent Golding & 1/4 oz. Clusters after 5 min.
- 1/4 oz KG & 1/4 oz. Clusters after 20 & 40 min.
- 1/2 oz. Mt Hood after 58 min.
- 2 tsp. gypsum in 60 min. boil
- 2 whole, roasted Hatch Chiis & 2 oz. chopped New Mexico chilis
(presumably in boil)
- Whitbred Lager yeast
The grains are mashed at 122F for 30 min; 152F for 10 min; 158F for 20
Fermented at 65F for 10 days with Whitbred Lager yeast.