Great Pumpkin Bitter
fruit beer, pumpkin, extract
Source: Barry Cunningham (abvax!calvin.icd.ab.com!bwc)
Issue #299, 11/9/89
This is quite aromatic and will make a good sipping beer for next
halloween. It is definitely not for consuming in large quantity.
- 1 can, Cooper's bitter hopped malt syrup
- 1-1/2 pounds, M&F dry malt extract
- 1/4 pound, black patent malt
- 1 cup, Brer Rabbit molasses
- 1/2 ounce, Tettnanger hop pellets (boil 30 minutes)
- 1/2 ounce, Tettnanger hops pellets (finish)
- 2 sticks, cinnamon
- 2-3 ounces, fresh grated ginger
- 10 pounds, pumpkin mush
- 1/2 cup, chopped cilantro
- 1-2 ounces, fresh grated ginger
- 2 packs, Pasteur champagne yeast
Steep black patent malt. Remove grain and add extracts. Boil wort 60
minutes with 2-3 ounces ginger, add boiling hops at 30 minutes. At 10
minutes add cinnamon. In last couple minutes, add finishing hops.
Prepare pumpkin while wort is boiling: place pumpkin flesh in blender or
food processor and mush. Mix chopped cilantro and 1-2 ounces fresh
ginger in with mush. Place pumpkin mush, wort, and water to make 6-1/2
gallons in primary fermenter. Let primary fermentation proceed 1 week.
Remove pumpkin mush and strain remaining liquid into 5 gallon carboy.
Rack again after 3 weeks. Bottle after another 2 months.
- Primary Ferment: 1 week
- Secondary Ferment: 2 weeks + 2 months