Larsson's Presque Orval
Belgian ale, Trappist ale, all-grain
Source: Mikael Larsson (Mikael.Larsson@idt.ntnu.no),
Lambic Digest #989, 11/23/96
I made an attempt at copying Orval earlier this summer.
Since I am now connected to this mailing list, I thought
I might go ask you experts out there what you think of my
Ingredients: (20 liters)
- 2.97 kg lager malt
- 0.46 kg crystal malt (should be Cara-Vienna, I know)
- 0.63 kg light syrup
- 1.56 g AA St. Golding (plugs)
- 0.83 g AA Tettnanger (pellets)
- S.cerevisiae culture from Orval
- mixed culture from a bottle of Orval
- 48 g St. Goldings plugs (dry hop)
- 10 g table sugar per liter (priming)
Mash 30 minutes at 59 C, 60 minutes at 68 C.
Primary fermentation: 1 week with pure S.cerevisiae culture from Orval
secondary fermentation: 3 weeks with dregs from an earlier attempt at
a wheat based beer fermented by a mixed culture from a bottle of Orval.
The FG indicates some Brettanomyces activity.