George's 80 Shilling Ale
Source: Dave Bonvicin
Recipe added: 10/29/97
This is a rich, red brew which I feel adheres closely to the classic Scottish ale style. The high mash temperature and Aromatic Malt emphasize the malty character giving the impression of a beer that is "bigger" than it really is.
Recipe type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.5
Starting Gravity: 1043
Finishing Gravity: 1012
Time in Boil: 90 minutes
Primary Fermentation: plastic, 5 days (~ 68°F)
Secondary Fermentation: glass, 9 days (~ 68°F)
- 8 lbs Maris Otter Pale Malt
- 1 lb DWC Aromatic Malt
- 8 oz Hugh Baird Crystal (~60°L)
- 2 oz Roasted Barley
- 1 oz Progress pellets, 5.7% (60 min)
- 1/2 tsp Irish moss (15 min)
- Wyeast #1278 Scottish Ale, 1 qt starter
• Mash for 90 minutes at 156°F with 12.5 qts of water.
• Sparge and top off boil volume at 6.5 gallons.
• Boil for 90 minutes adding Progress and Irish moss as noted.
• Force cool, aerate well, and pitch yeast.
Back to previous Table of Contents
Copyright © 1996 - 2005. All Rights Reserved. No information found in the
Gambrinus' Mug pages should be assumed to be in the public domain.