Gone a "Rye" IPA
Source: Greg W. Clark
Recipe added: 12/04/97
This was an experiment brew. I Started out with 1/4 lb of Rye malt. After 4 batches... 1lb of Rye malt seems to be just right. The Colombus is powerful,the Cascade adds a nice citus aroma, and the Rye malt makes it taste like a loaf of old world Rye bread with a bite. Because of secondary in the frig this brew is crystal clear. A request of some friends who own local bars, wanted me to brew this for them. But, because I don't have $100k to start a micro it will have to remain between "you" and my brewing buddies. Enjoy!!
Recipe type: Extract
Batch Size: 5 gal
Starting Gravity: 1.050
Finishing Gravity: 1.010
Time in Boil: 60 min
Primary Fermentation: 24-48 hours
Secondary Fermentation: 2 weeks
Additional Fermentation: kegged in frig
- Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) 1 gal starter
- 7lbs of John Bull Light Malt Extract
- Durst light Crystal Malt 10 lovi or less (1lb)
- Crystal Malt 10 Lovi or less (1lb)
- U.S. Briess Rye Malt
- Wheat Malt (1lb)
- Colombus hops (1oz)
- East kent Goldings (1/2)oz
- Fuggles (1/2)oz
- Casecade (2)oz
- Irish moss
1. Mash all grains @ 150 deg for 1 hour in 1 gal of filtered water.
2. Sparge grains with 4 qts of 170 deg filtered water. (or until wort runs clear).
3. Add grain wort,extracts to 3 1/2 gal of filtered water and bring to a boil.
4. Add Colombus hops 1oz.
5. At the 30 minute mark add East Kent Goldings & Fuggles along 1/2oz ea. With 1 tsp of Irish Moss. Boil for another 30 minutes.
6. Add 1 oz of fresh Cascade to hop back (Phils mini tun works well). Let wort trickle (covered) into cooling bucket.
7. Chill to 70 deg.
8. Transfer to primary. Let sit for 15 minutes then Oxygenate for 3 minutes. (optional)
9. Pitch yeast. (Remove all but 3/4" of beer from stater. Agaite slurry well then pitch).
10. Oxygenate for an additional 3 minutes (optional)
11. Blanket beer with co2 (optional)and seal.
11. Because of oxygenation, fermentation will start in about 2 hours and will finish in 24-48hours.
12. After primary is complete transfer to secondary and add 1oz of fresh (leaf) Cascade.
13. Keep in frig for 2 weeks @ 38-45 deg.
14. After 2 weeks, transfer to Corni and Force carbonate @10 psi (Kept in frig). (a shot of co2 every day @10psi for 2 weeks works fine).
15. Time for consumption!! Adjust co2 level for personal pref.
Back to previous Table of Contents
Copyright © 1996 - 2005. All Rights Reserved. No information found in the
Gambrinus' Mug pages should be assumed to be in the public domain.