Darth Vader's Imperial Stout (The Dark Side)
Source: Tim Black
Recipe added: 01/28/97
This beer has been in the bottle for about two weeks, and
it is phenomenal! Rich and malty, with lots of complexity.
Coffee flavor is slight, but definitely noticeable.
Alcoholic warmth is imminent in a beer of this high gravity,
but it's not overwhelming.
The Special London version has slightly more body(also is
maltier) than the American version and the Wit version
has some crazy aroma/phenolics going on! There really is no
mistaking these yeasts from one another in a beer like this.
I plan to do some taste tests - yeast recognition tests -
with this at the next B.O.C.K. (Brewers of Central
Recipe type: Partial Mash
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Starting Gravity: 1.092
Finishing Gravity: 1.026
Time in Boil: 90 minutes
Primary Fermentation: 3 days at 76-70F
Secondary Fermentation: 6 weeks at 43F
Additional Fermentation: bottle conditioned with 1/2 cup corn sugar
- Grain Bill:
- 5 lb. Briess Pale 2-row malt
- 2 lb. Crystal
- 1 lb. Chocolate
- 1/2 lb. Roast Barley
- 2 oz. Black Patent
- 1 lb. flaked oats
- 1 lb. flaked barley
- 3 lbs M&F extradark dme
- 3 lbs M&F light dme
- 1/2 lb. M&F wheat dme
- 6 gal boiled tap water + 1 Tbsp. burton salts
- 1 oz. CHINOOK 12.25 60 min + 3 oz. US Hallertauer whole 4.4% 30 min + 1.5 oz. Cascades 5.5% 20 min + 1 oz. Fuggles 4.5% finish
- This is about 94 HBU's!</TH>
- 1 cup molasses 60 min
- 1 inch brewer's licorice 20 min
- 1 tsp. Irish Moss 20 min
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract added when wort cooled to 150F
- 1 Tbsp. normal ground Royal Kona coffee beans added when wort cooled to 150F</TH>
- Special London yeast slurry from Tim Black Beer(3 gal=2gal wort+1gal water)
- Chico Ale yeast slurry from Tim Black Beer (2 gal=1.3gal wort+.6gal water)
- Belgian Wit yeast slurry from TimwiT (1 gal=.6gal wort+.3gal water)
Mash 3 gal water with grain. Strike heat: 165F
Mash-in: 150 Mash-pH: 5
Starch Conversion: 1.5 hrs @ 155-150F.
After recirculating until clear(about a gallon),
Sparged with 3 gal water@pH:6.5 @ 165F using
rotating sparge arm.
Sparge time: 9 hours(overnight due to stuck mash)
Wort Boil time:90 minutes
Bottled with 0.5 cup corn sugar. Added 2 qts sterile water
to the Special London, 1.5 qts to the American, and 0.5 qt
to the Wit version at bottling time.
Back to previous Table of Contents
Copyright © 1996 - 2005. All Rights Reserved. No information found in the
Gambrinus' Mug pages should be assumed to be in the public domain.