Nationalist's Fervor Russian Imperial Stout
Source: Mark Henry
Recipe added: 11/05/99
A very rich, dark, full-bodied, high alcohol stout.
1st Place winner in the 1996 Regionals of the
AHA National Homebrew Competition
Recipe type: Extract
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Starting Gravity: 1.090
Finishing Gravity: 1.025
Time in Boil: 45 minutes
Primary Fermentation: 1 week @ 68'F
Secondary Fermentation: 2 weeks @ 70'F
- 6.6 lbs Coopers light malt extract
- 4 lbs dark dry malt extract
- 1 lb 80’L Crystal malt
- 1 lb DWC Special B malt
- 1 lb DWC Chocolate malt
- 1 lb Roasted Barley
- 1 lb invert sugar (adequate substitute is corn sugar)
- 2 oz Target or Northern Brewer leaf hops (60 min)
- 1 oz Cascade leaf hops (60 min)
- 1 oz Cascade leaf hops (20 min)
- Nottingham Ale yeast (preferred) or
- White Labs California Ale yeast
- 1/2 cup dry malt (priming)
1) Steep Crystal, Special B, Chocolate and Roasted Barley in 150’-180’F brewing water (amount of water determined by size of your pot) for 15-20 minutes. Then remove.
2) Mix in Coopers malt syrup and dry malt, bring to boil
3) After hot break add Northern Brewer and 1 oz Cascade hops and boil 45 minutes. With 20 minutes remaining in boil add last ounce of Cascades.
4) Add invert sugar with 5 minutes remaining in boil.
5) Cool wort in pot, then transfer to fermenter, top up if necessary.
6) Pitch yeast when temp is <80’F
Back to previous Table of Contents
Copyright © 1996 - 2005. All Rights Reserved. No information found in the
Gambrinus' Mug pages should be assumed to be in the public domain.