Source: Shane M.
Recipe added: 11/13/99
Recipe type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Starting Gravity: 1.048
Finishing Gravity: 1.014
Time in Boil: 90 min
Primary Fermentation: 10 days at 50* F
Secondary Fermentation: 14-21 days at 34* F
- Something close to the lusciousness of fresh Kostritzer Schwarzbier - chocolatey with a terrific Hallertauer Mittlefrueh hops flavor and aroma.
- 9 lbs Czech Vienna Malt 4.5L
- 0.5 lbs Czech Dark Munich Malt 18L
- 0.5 lbs Czech Crystal Malt 60L
- 0.25 lbs German Dehusked Black Patent Malt 400L
- 1.67 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh Hop Pellets 3.4% AA
- 0.4 oz German Magnum Hop Pellets 16% AA
- YCKC 34/70 German Lager Yeast (or Czech Pils Wyeast)
PROCEDURE: Double-decoction mash the above ingredients, but only add 1oz of Black Patent at mash-in. After converting and boiling the first decoction, mix it with the cooler mash (127* F) to 148* F and add another ounce of Black malt. Pull a second decoction, heat to 158* F for 10 min. and boil for 12 minutes. Mix with rest mash for mash-out of 165* F, and add remaining 2 oz of Black Malt. Mix well and let set for 10 minutes before re-circulating. As you collect the wort, add 1 oz Mittelfrueh hops (Tradition, Hersbrucker or Ultra is a good substitute for Mittelfrueh) to the wort collecting in your kettle (first-wort hops for terrific aroma and flavor). Collect 6-6.25 gallons, boil for 90 minutes. Add 0.4 oz of Magnum hops after 20 minutes of boiling, and 0.67 oz of Mittelfrueh the last 20 minutes of the boil. The first-wort hops take care of late additions. Chill, and pitch 1L-2L starter and ferment for 10 days at 50 degrees. Lager for 2-3 weeks, then keg/bottle.
Back to previous Table of Contents
Copyright © 1996 - 2005. All Rights Reserved. No information found in the
Gambrinus' Mug pages should be assumed to be in the public domain.