42 brown ale
Source: Brian Newton
Recipe added: 02/17/97
I have also made this beer with extract before and is just as good. Use 4 pounds of Alexander extra light malt extract and 3 pounds of extra light dried malt extract. Steep your specialty grains in one half a gallon of 150 to 155 degree water for 40 minutes and rinse grains in a kitchen strainer with a half gallon of 170 degree water.Rinse the grains in to your boiling pot and then top off until you get 5 gallons of boiling water.
Recipe type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Starting Gravity: 1.050
Finishing Gravity: 1.011
Time in Boil: 60 minutes
Primary Fermentation: 5 days
Secondary Fermentation: 9 days
Additional Fermentation: bottle condition 5 weeks
- 10 pounds of 2 row pale malt.
- 1 cup of crystal malt.
- 1 cup of chocolate malt.
- 1 cup of black patent malt.
- Williamette hop pellets (7.5%) alpha boiled for 60 minutes.
- Cascade hop pellets (3.5%) alpha boiled for 30 minutes.
- 1/2 teaspoon of irish moss added the last 15 minutes of the boil.
- 3/4 cup of corn sugar to prime with.
- Dry hop with 3% alpha cascade hop pellets in the secondary at least 7 days.
- London ale yeast #1028 made from a starter.
Infusion mashing used. Mash water use two and three fourths gallons of 175 degree water. Use five and a half gallons of sparge water. Mash grains for 60 minutes or until conversion.You should have about five to six gallons of wort to boil.
Back to previous Table of Contents
Copyright © 1996 - 2005. All Rights Reserved. No information found in the
Gambrinus' Mug pages should be assumed to be in the public domain.