McAlan's Extra Strong Scottish Ale
Source: Alan Mishell
Recipe added: 06/01/00
For those who like strong ale, this one has about 9% alcohol. I usually keg my beer, but this one needs to age for a while. I tried one after 1 month in the bottle and it was smooth and quite tasty. A beer that will age well! The peated malt adds a great flavor to this rich and malty brew.
Recipe type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5 gal.
Starting Gravity: 1.090
Finishing Gravity: 1.020
Time in Boil: 90 min.
Primary Fermentation: 1 week
Secondary Fermentation: 3 weeks
Additional Fermentation: Bottle conditioned
- 16.00 lbs. Canadian 2-Row (Gambrinus Pale)malt
- 2.00 lbs. British Carastan malt
- 1.00 lb. British Brown malt
- 0.50 lb. British Chocolate malt
- 0.50 lb. British Peated malt
- 1.50 oz. Fuggles hops (leaf) 90 min. 5.2% alpha
- 0.50 oz. Fuggles hops (leaf) 20 min. 5.2% alpha
- 1.5 tsp. Irish moss 30 min.
- Wyeast 1028 London Ale Yeast liquid culture
- 0.75 cup corn sugar for bottling
Mash for 60 min. at 155F by adding 5.00 gal. of water at 176F. Sparge with at least 5 gal. of water at 180F.
Boil for 90 min. adding 1.5 oz. Fuggles at the start and .5 oz. of Fuggles with 20 min. left. Don't forget to add Irish moss with 30 min. left.
Cool, pour into fermenter, pitch yeast.
Back to previous Table of Contents
Copyright © 1996 - 2005. All Rights Reserved. No information found in the
Gambrinus' Mug pages should be assumed to be in the public domain.