Garvin's Old Ale #159
old ale, strong ale, all-grain
Source: Rick Garvin (firstname.lastname@example.org), HBD Issue #1199,
This beer won a ribbon at the AHA national competition.
Ingredients: (for 7 gallons)
- 14 pounds British Pale Ale malt
- 1 pound 40 Lovibond Crystal malt
- 4 ounces Mt. Hood hop pellets, 3.7% AA. Boil 70 minutes
- 1 ounce Mt Hood hop pellets, 3.7% AA. Boil 10 minutes
- 1 ounce BC Goldings hop pellets, 5.0% AA. End of boil
- 1 tablespoon Irish Moss for last 15 minutes
- 16 ounces thick slurry Sierra Nevada strain yeast (Old Dominion
- 3/4 cup corn sugar to prime
Single temperature infusion mash:
Dough in malt with 1.33 qts/lb water (5 gallons) water at 165F for a
sacharification rest 154F-152F for 60 minutes. Sparge to collect 9
Boil sweet wort for 30 minutes before adding hops. Chill and pitch.
- O.G.: 1.064
- F.G.: 1.014
- Primary Ferment: 1 week @ 65 degrees F.
- Secondary Ferment: 1 week at 65 degrees F.