kahlua, coffee liquer, liquer
- 3 ounces, medium to dark roast coffee, finely ground
- 2 3/4 cups, Vodka, 80 proof
- 3/4 cups, Brandy, 80 proof
- 4 teaspoons, Good quality instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon, Vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon, Chocolate extract
- 1 teaspoon, Glycerine (at most pharmacies)
- 1 drop, Red food colouring (optional)
- 7/8 cups, Distilled water
- 1--3/4 cups, Granulated sugar
Place the ground coffee in a large wide-mouthed glass bottle. Add the
vodka and the brandy. Allow the mixture to sit approximately 18 to 20
hours. Use coffee filters to remove the coffee from the alcohol --
discard the spent grounds. Add the instant coffee, the extracts, the
glycerine, and the food colour to the mixture. Set aside.
In a scrupulously clean pan, boil the water. Add the sugar, stirring
rapidly. When the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat. Allow the sugar
syrup to return to room temperature.
Add the syrup to the alcohol mixture. Store in a tightly capped glass
bottle. The liqueur is better when aged for 3 or more months.